Tuesday 12 May 2015

Herbs...and other green stuff

This year, I've decided to plant my herbs indoors (it's hard to distinguish basil from a weed ok?!).  Actually, I lied... I sowed some dill outside this past weekend.  Dill is different, though, it grows about four feet tall and is pretty easy to recognize.  Last year I had waaay too much dill growing and with no cucumbers to make pickles with, most of it eventually died off.  Some of it made it into a salad, but it has a very strong flavor so not much is needed.
Anyway. The herbs I've decided to plant indoors this year are:
  • Tarragon
  • Oregano
  • Sage
  • Basil
  • Rosemary
  • Thyme
  • Chives
  • Lavender
  • Chamomile
My chamomile is growing super fast which is exciting... I am looking forward to some homemade chamomile tea.  The thyme just really hates me; it's the only one out of all nine that has hardly sprouted.  I don't know if the seed depth was way off or it needs a different soil acidity, oh well. 
I've also started around 40 tomato seedlings.. I wont have room for them but, you know, survival of the fittest guys.  Ahhh I have some ground cherry as well! That's those little orange berries that come in a papery husk.  I want to can some if they ever mature... about 30 have come up but they look so fragile I hope they make it.
I planted some leek too... after having cock-a-leeky soup (see last post), how could I not.. they are doing very well, they can be transplanted outside soon and they are very easy to grow.
Finally, I have some columbine flowers growing inside the sunroom here. They never even sprouted last year but this year there are lots... yay for flowers!
Now, outside is a whole different story.  I know you should really wait til the may 24 weekend to start seeds outside blah blah but last year I was late with starting them, and this year I intend to have a few harvests throughout the summer :). Well here's a list of my seeds/ plants I've started in my garden (more so a list for me to keep track)
  • Corn
  • Carrots
  • Red onion
  • Snow peas
  • Cucumber
  • Lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Zucchini
  • Yellow pepper
  • Potatoes
  • Tomato (once mature)
  • Ground cherry (once mature)
  • Leek (once mature)
  • Raspberry
  • Pumpkin
The pumpkin, by the way is one of those prizewinning size of Baffin island pumpkins so it goes behind the garden shed lol.
I spent all weekend mixing soil to the right consistency and raking and weeding (oh the weeding).. so now we wait.


Sunroom!

Tarragon 3 weeks in

Close-up of leeks

These two smell sooo good and earthy
 
 
I purchased some new books, as well. One is all about baking using natural sugars and garden produce, the other is about self sufficient gardening.  Yay for some good reads.
Any help with growing thyme will be appreciated :)

Peace and thyme xo

No comments:

Post a Comment