Monday 25 May 2015

Guess This Tree

Living out in the country sure has its benefits... the sights, the smells (and no, I'm not talking about manure).  Anytime I take a walk down the road this time of year, heading toward the forest, there are two noticeable things: 1) The presence of one massive fly that wont leave you alone and 2) The deep, dense scent of honey and nature mixed together in one blissful aroma. It is pretty easy to find the cause of the scent, as it is powerful and overwhelming and wonderful.  Turns out, it comes from just one lonely tree at the edge of the forest. That's how powerful it is.  You can smell it for a good 1/2 km. 
Anywho.  I've been researching this mysterious tree for the past few weeks and I've FINALLY found it! Here are the pictures of the leaves and bark before I spoil this epic surprise for you:

So in order to find the species, I looked in my trees of Ontario guide and flipped to the front where there is a key.  So basically it says "Are the leaves needle or not" and continues on in this manner using deduction to figure out the type of tree.  This tree proved more difficult because it took me to the very end of the key where it was asking about 'how serrated are the edges' and 'how long are the leaves compared to width'.  Anyway, I'm proud to announce that this is a .............................................
BALSAM POPLAR
I thought it was a birch for sure, but apparently these trees are very 'poplar' all over Ontario (See what I did there).. So its likely that you've smelled this tree at some point too.  I believe they are usually around the forest edge.
 
Anyway.  Glad I got that off my chest ;)
 
 
Much crickets and love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment